Microsoft Power Query is an add-in to the Excel program, it has the purpose of performing the function of an ETL. That is, extract, transform and load data, which allows the user to work with any type of data. This tool is very useful for organizing and presenting data in a very simple way that you can use from your computer through the Microsoft Excel program.
What operating systems does Power Query in Excel support?
If you want to install the Power Query tool in Excel, you should know that not all systems operating systems are supported by this tool. Therefore, you must check that the operating system of your computer is suitable to be able to use Power Query in Excel. The operating systems that Power Query in Excel supports are as follows.
- windows 10
- Windows Server 2008 R2.
- Windows Server 2012.
- windows 7
- windows 8
- Windows 8.1.
It is important to note that Microsoft Power Query for Excel requires Internet Explorer 9 or later to be installed on your computer. Also, the Microsoft Power Query tool for Excel is only available for 32-bit and 64-bit platformsbut it will depend on the version of Office you have installed on your computer.
How to get Power Query from Microsoft Excel on my computer?
You can get the Power Query plugin on your computer, whether you have a Windows or Mac operating system. The procedure to obtain this add-in will depend on the version of Microsoft Excel that you have on your computer. Therefore, it is essential to know what version of Microsoft Office is installed on your device.
For my Windows PC
If your Microsoft Excel program is version 2016 or newer, you won’t need install the power query tool in Microsoft Excel. Since in these versions the tool is incorporated by default.
It can access this tool from all versions of Excel 2016 or laterboth standalone versions and Microsoft 365 subscription plans. If you want to use this tool from a subscription, you’ll need to access the Data tab of the Get & Transform group.
On the other hand, if you have the version of the Microsoft Excel program from 2010 or 2013. You should know that for this version the tool is an add-in that is no longer officially supported. so you will have to download and install the Power Query plugin in your Microsoft Excel program.
if i use mac
If you have a Mac device, you should know that the plugin for Power Query is not available for the 2016 or 2019 version of Microsoft Excel. Instead, if you’re a Microsoft 365 subscriber, the Power Query add-in is available in Excel for Mac. From the “Get Data” command on the “Data” tab.
Where can I locate the Power Query in the Excel program?
To locate the Power Query tool in your Excel programl, you must perform a series of steps. It is important that you first verify that the version of Excel you have on your computer is already integrated by default, otherwise you would have to install it first.
- Open the Microsoft Excel program on your computer.
- Select the file where you want to use the Power Query tool.
- Head to the top of your document where the toolbar is located.
- Click on the “Data” tab.
- In the sort and transform group, click the “New Query” icon.
- Then a drop-down menu will be displayed, where you must select the option “From other sources”.
- Then you will have to select the option that best suits you. Depending on where you want to extract the information you need to transform into Power Query.
- If the information you want to extract is from the internet, You must select “From a website”. Then a dialog box will automatically open where you will have to enter the URL of the web page from which you want to extract the information.
What are the steps to get free Power Query in Excel?
To get free Power Query in Excel, you need to have the 2020 or 2013 version of Microsoft Excel. Then you’ll need to go to the Microsoft Office website and download the Power Query plugin. To download this plugin you must perform the following steps.
- Go to the Microsoft website.
- Sign in to your Microsoft account.
- Go to the “Microsoft Download Center”.
- Click on the “Office” icon.
- Then select the Microsoft Power Query for Excel option.
- In the event that you cannot find the option at a glance, you can go to the top of the Microsoft page. Next to the shopping cart is the search engine, which you should use to search for “Microsoft Power Query for Excel”. Select the “Download Microsoft Power Query for Excel” option.
- Then you must select the language of the installation package and click the “Download” button.
- Choose the installation package based on the type of Office you have installed. That is 64 bits or 32 bits.
How to activate Power Query in the Excel 365 program?
- Download the Power Query plugin on your computer. Once the installation package is downloaded, double click on the Power Query iconand then you just have to follow the instructions.
- Open the Excel file you want to use Power Query on.
- Click on the tab called Power Query.
- To enable the plugin immediately after installation, you will need to click on the File tab.
- Click on “Options”, and then select the “Add-ons” option.
- Then click on “COM Add-ins”, and then click on “Go…” and check the corresponding box.
- Finally, click on the ‘OK’ button.