Today we are going to see how to create a shortcut to shut down or restart my Windows 10 PC in very few steps. You can create a shortcut for the desktop, taskbar or pin it to the start so that from said access you can shut down, restart, suspend or hibernate the PC.
Another option you have is to set a timer on your computer so that it turns off at a specific time.
There are a few ways to shut down your computer. The classic is to go to “Start”And then click on the shutdown icon to view the different options. However, there are also other methods:
- If you press Alt + F4, it is not only used to close windows of all kinds. But it also serves to turn off the equipment.
- If you press the Windows + L You can close or block the session and from this place turn off the equipment.
- You can also use the key Windows + R and use the commands that you will see below to turn off the computer.
But we are going to see a way to leave these icons where we want and by simply double-clicking it, do what we want either turn off, restart, suspend or hibernate our Windows 10 computer.
With this simple, practical and quick tutorial you will be able in a few minutes to have all the icons to carry out the actions that we mentioned above, not only on the desktop. But you can also add them to the application menu or the task bar.
Create a shortcut to shutdown suspend restart or hibernate Windows 10
The first step is to create a shortcut. This is quite easy since we only have to right click on an empty space on the desktop and we can see how a context menu is displayed.
Next, you will have to click on where it says “New“And then in”Direct access”. Here we are going to have to write the following commands depending on what you want to create this shortcut for:
- To turn off: shutdown -s -t 0
- Restart: shutdown -r -t 0
- Sign off: shutdown -l -t 0
- Suspend / hibernate: rundll32.exe powrprof.dll, SetSuspendState 0,1,0
You must take into account that if the computer has hibernation disabled. Then it will be suspended. Obviously if you have hibernation activated, it will do just this.
After entering the command, we can see that it asks us to put a name to the shortcut that we are about to create. Obviously if we decide to add the command “Restart“Ideally, the name of said shortcut is”Reboot“Or Similary.
We press finish and when we double click on the icon the computer will restart as if we were doing it from the “Start”.
Programming your computer to perform tasks such as shutting down can be very useful to take care of it and to protect your information in case you forget to close it yourself. Another command you can set is to program your computer to automatically close an application.
How to create a shortcut to shutdown restart suspend Windows 10
The shortcuts will be left with a default icon which does not look exactly right. So what we have to do is change these icons to personalize them a bit and in this way make them much easier to distinguish on the desktop.
- To be able to do this we have to right click on them and then in the context menu click on “Properties”.
- Now what we have to do is press on “Change icon”And we can see that a small window opens with a great variety of icons. Here you can choose the one you like the most. Ideally, you should find one that is related to the action that the shortcut will do.
You can also add these shortcuts to the start menu. For that, what we have to do is right click on these shortcuts and then choose the option to “Anchor at start”. In this way we can use the same icons to shutdown, restart, suspend or hibernate the computer from the applications section.
And in this way you can create a shortcut to turn off or restart my Windows 10 PC in a very simple way.